I've been on a lifelong quest to find inner peace and happiness. The feeling alluded me for a while, until I realized it was a choice. And with that choice comes conscious actions to nurture it. I've summarized below the steps to happiness I've uncovered over a lifetime of research.
- Meditate: for 5 - 20 minutes, 1-2 times per day. Try to be present always.
- Gratitude: list 10 things daily that you are grateful for. Pause and feel gratitude often.
- Affirmations: rewire your brain with daily affirmations that suit your needs, such as "I am free," "My thoughts are powerful," and "I pause regularly just to be."
- Eat Clean: lay off the booze, drugs, processed food, and animal products like meat and dairy. Your body should be respected and fueled.
- Physical Activity: do not underestimate physical strength and the stress-relieving properties of fitness, such as yoga, running, hiking, cardio classes, and walking. Defy the laws of nature and aging.
- Spirituality and Faith: whether that means a religion or just a personal practice of believing in magic, possibilities, the unknown, and the inter-connectivity of all things.
- Give Consciously: give to others daily. Can be gestures big and small, material or immaterial. The more you give, the more free you become, and the more you open yourself up for the flip side of receiving. Let love flow in and out.
- Positivity: see the silver lining in everything. Perception is relative.
- Adventure: make your own opportunities. Fortune favors action. Look forward to the unexpected and new experiences. Extinguish fear in favor of feeling alive.
- Be authentic.
And perhaps the most important thing is to practice all of the above daily. Make good habits. You will be rewarded for your efforts and make the world happier too.